Saturday, April 24, 2010

My future house: bathroom

Davis and I like to talk about home design and decoration. When we decided to go back to school, one of the options he was mulling over was architecture, and he still loves design software and drawing out floor plans. As for me, I love colour and knick-knacks and change - I can't stand having a homogenous or permanent decoration scheme. I have different ideas for every room and I like to change things up a lot.

We have two different theme ideas for the bathrooms in our future house (we're talking like, 10-15 years down the road). The main or master bathroom will be in Japanese style, and we want to have a big, wooden ofuro bathtub. These are deep baths used more for soaking and relaxing rather than strictly for cleaning - sort of like a hot tub.

These are some of our inspirations:

[Image by Home Portfolio; stainless steel tub by Diamond Spas]


[Image from SILive; bathroom design by Michael Ranson]


[Image from Bornplaydie.com; Sanbare Hotel, Izu, Shizuoka, Japan]


[could not find photo credit - contact me if you know where this is from!]

While the ofuro is mainly Davis's idea, being the Japanese studies major, my contribution to the bathroom design is river pebble floors and open-concept rain showers (the latter of which will probably have to be in the master bathroom as well). I love beachy, water, coastal themes, and I find the pebble floors really attractive... imagine the feel of the cool bumpy stones on your feet on a hot day!


[image by Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn from Coastal Living]


[image from Kitchen & Bath Ideas]


[image from CutieGadget; water tile by Kohler]


[image by Brian Scott; Saman Villas Hotel, Sri Lanka]

I sometimes have recurring dreams about those rain tile shower spouts - but usually they're somewhere inappropriate like in the middle of a large, dim, carpeted room. I'm not sure what this says about my psyche.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! Those are gorgeous! If I can give you any advice, if it is within (or close too :) your budget, go with what you love because you will have to live with it for a long time.

    Our home has so much of us in it we would never be able to sell it as is we would have to paint it the generic "Real Estate White" but who cares, we live here, we are going to enjoy it the way we want to :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom wanted to have pebble floors and stuff. Her bathroom is still a work in progress. Great ideas..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your inspirations, especially that sunken tub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the exact same first picture in my files. I love the large stones. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. T, I totally agree! There are some things I am willing to spend more money on (when I have money... one day) that are more important to me, and definitely our home is one of them. You spend so much time in your house, that I really think it needs to make you feel good!

    Thanks, everyone else for the comments as well! It's so much fun to collect these pictures. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful choices !
    The bath is more than just a room to get one's self clean in; it has become a retreat, a spa, an oasis to relax, de-stress and unwind in. All of the baths that you've featured exude a Zen like tranquility. I think any one of those designs would last a lifetime and never be out of fashion...I can't say the same for the avocado and harvest gold kitchen appliances that were the rage of the 60's. :)

    ReplyDelete

... what are you thinking?