Saturday, March 13, 2010

first day of spring

I don't care what the calendar or planetary axes tell me - the first day of spring is the first day I see a red-winged blackbird. And that day was today.


Further support for my arguments came in the form of geese and American robins.... or the business end of an American robin, anyway.




The blue jays have stuck around all winter, but they seemed to be enjoying the spring sunshine as well.




A dark-eyed junco takes stock of what the melting snow has revealed.





The white-breasted nuthatches also persevered throughout the winter, but are much more active now that there are more bugs to catch under the tree bark.




I'm looking forward to my first real birding trip of the year next weekend, rather than tromping though my backyard with my zoom lens like a weirdo.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm a bird watcher too :) I saw another eagle yesterday and flipped, per usual. I only hope to one day be able to identify birds like you do. Where do I start? I bet you know of a great identification guide or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a backyard to tromp through, so...

    But we do get juncos which I love and the occasional bully Blue Jay. And about a month ago I counted 131 robins (131!) in trees around a huge, 2-story tall holly bush. We were having a huge snowstorm so I guess it was the only thing to eat in the neighborhood. Here in PA the robins never leave anymore, silly things.

    ReplyDelete

... what are you thinking?